Iona Softball BIO
3 Katie Newton
AS A JUNIOR (2016):
- All-MAAC Academic Team selection.
- Appeared and started in all 46 games.
- Stole 11 bases, tied for sixth most in a single season in program history; was never caught stealing.
- Totaled 49 hits and 16 runs batted in on the season; maintained a .312 batting average.
- Recorded 12 multi-hit games, including a trio of three-hit games.
- Registered two hits with four RBI and one run scored aganist Santa Clara (March 19)
- Went 3-4 with a run scored against Canisius (April 17)
- Went 3-5 with one run scored and two runs batted at Quinnipiac (April 24)
- Had a seven game hit streak
AS A SOPHOMORE (2015):
- MAAC All-Academic team selection.
- Appeared in and started 44 games for the Gaels.
- Totaled 37 hits and 14 runs batted in on the season, along with a .303 batting average.
- Went 2-3 in the first game of the season with three RBI's against UNC Greensboro (Feb. 28).
- Totaled eight stolen bases on the season.
- Went 3-5 with one run batted in against Saint Peter's (Apr. 12).
- Went 2-4 with a double against Army (Mar. 24).
- Recorded nine multi-hit games throughout the season.
AS A FRESHMAN (2014):
- Appeared in 46 games for the Gaels, making 44 starts.
- Batted .271 with 29 hits, seven doubles, one triple, and 21 runs scored.
- Went 1-2 with a run scored vs. Massachusetts (Mar. 16).
- Went 1-3 with a run scored at Columbia (March 22).
- Went 1-2 with a run scored and a run batted in vs. Stony Brook (Mar 26).
- Went 2-2 with a triple, two runs scored, and one run batted in vs. St. Peter’s (Mar. 29).
- Went 2-3 with two doubles, and a run batted in vs. Sacred Heart (Apr. 2).
- Went 1-3 with two runs batted in at Quinnipiac (Apr. 13).
- Went 2-3 with a double and a run scored vs. Siena (Apr. 26).
- Went 2-3 with two doubles, three runs batted in, and one run scored vs. Rider (May 4).
- Earned nine varsity letters at Aloha High School, including four in softball, three in basketball, and two in soccer.
- As a senior, led team to second Metro Championship, and into second round of Class 6A state playoffs.
- Three-time All-Metro First Team selection.
- Team went 36-9 in Metro League, 58-6 overall in final three seasons, reaching state semifinals and quarterfinals.
- Carried .414 career batting average with 21 home runs, six triples, 24 doubles, and a fielding percentage of .921.
- Named Beaverton Leader's 2013 Female Athlete of the Year.
- Received Honors in softball, basketball and soccer.
- In soccer, earned All-Metro honors as a junior.
- All-Metro honorable mention in basketball as a senior.
- Member of the National Honors Society.