John Boyd is currently in his fourth season leading the Iona men. His primary focus is to build a foundation upon which a program with potential can succeed. The end goal is to create a program that is not only competitive in the MAAC, but will win the MAAC.
Boyd's men's teams have won nine Spring Metropolitan championships in the past three years, which include wins in every boat class both varsity and novice. They won the men's points in 2014 and 2015 and won the overall points with the women's team in 2015. The men's pair won a Dad Vail silver medal in 2014. The varsity eight won MAAC Crew of the Week twice in 2015 and the Varsity Four won once. Four men have gone on to win medals at the USRowing National Championships including three gold.
Boyd is a former captain and four-year member of the Iona rowing team. After college, he rowed for Iona alums Kevin Murphy and Vinny Ventura at the NYAC and won three national championships, one Canadian championship, and appeared in the Pan American Games trials. He also trained at Vesper Boat Club in Philadelphia.
Prior to assuming head coach duties of the Iona men, he worked with Iona novice from 2009-2013, Radnor High School JV girls in 2009, and New York Athletic Club men from 2012-2013.
Boyd holds a 2014 USRowing Level II Coaching Certificate, completed the U.S. Olympic Committee Ethics and SafeSport training, is certified in First Aid, CPR & AED by the American Heart Association, and holds a NY State Boating Safety Certificate.
Outside of Iona, Boyd works in the feature film and television business having worked on dozens of New York based productions. He resides in Bedford, NY with his wife Melissa, who also spends time coaching the Iona men in addition to being the Director of Rowing at Rockland Rowing Association in Nyack, New York.
• Gold – Women’s Novice Eight 2009 Fall Metropolitan Champs
• Bronze – Women’s Novice Eight 2010 Spring Metropolitan Champs
• Silver – Men’s Novice Four 2011 Spring Metropolitan Champs
• Bronze – Men’s Novice Eight 2011 Spring Metropolitan Champs
• 10th Place (of 39) – Men’s Freshman Four crew made up entirely of walk-ons 2012 Knecht Cup
Rowing highlights (with the NYAC):
• 2007 Pan Am 2- Trials
• Gold – Int. 4+ 2002 Independence Day Regatta
• Gold – Int. 1x 2006 Schuylkill Navy Regatta
• Three US National Championship titles: Int. 8 and Int. 4 in 2005, Int. 4x in 2006; One
Royal Canadian Henley title: Men’s Eight 500m dash in 2007
• Multiple US National Championship medals in 4x, 4-, 4+, 8+
• Won Sulger-Barnes point trophy for top Men’s Team at 2006 US National Championships
With Iona College:
• Won the Novice 8 at Fall Metropolitan Champs and Dowling Regatta
• Three golds at Spring Metropolitan Championships: JV Four (’01), Varsity Eight (’02 & ’03)
• Three golds at Knecht Cup: Club Eight (’02 & ’03), Club Four (’03)
• Multiple medals at Spring Mets and MAACs in Varsity Four and Varsity Eight
• 6th place (of 28) in the Championship Fours at 2002 Head of the Connecticut
• 16th place (of 41) in the Collegiate Eights at 2002 Head of the Charles
• 5th place (of 29) in the Open Eights at 2002 Head of the Fish
• Men’s team finished runner up in the MAAC in 2003 and 2004
• Dad Vail semi-finalist Varsity Four 2004