Iona Men's Basketball BIO
1 Sam Cassell Jr.
- Graduate transfer from the University of Connecticut will play final season in Maroon & Gold.
- One of Iona’s top newcomers, will compete for a starting job in preseason practice… Has shown good leadership ability in summer workouts… Long-range shooting threat.
- Father Sam Cassell Sr., played in the NBA for 15 seasons and is currently an assistant coach with the Los Angeles Clippers.
- Appeared in 36 games for the Huskies in two seasons.
- Scored 110 points (3.1 ppg) and grabbed 31 rebounds (0.9 rpg).
- Hampered by injuries, missing the second half of UConn’s 2014-15 and games in 2015-16 with leg ailments.
AS A SENIOR (2015-16, UCONN)
- Played 18 games off the bench, tallying 39 points, seven rebounds and five assists in 6.6 minutes per game.
- Chipped in four points in the Huskies’ 100-56 win over Maine on Nov. 13.
- Tallied 11 points, including three made three pointers in 12 minutes off the bench vs. Michigan on Nov. 25
- Chipped in six points with a pair of rebounds in UConn’s 26-point win over UCF on Jan. 31.
AS A JUNIOR (2014-15, UCONN)
- Played in 18 games before missing the remainder of the season due to injury.
- Made two starts and averaged 3.9 points.
- Earned the start in his first-ever game for UConn (Nov. 14 vs. Bryant).
- Grabbed 1.3 rebounds a game on the year and was fifth on the team in three-point field goals made (13).
- Connected on a career-best three 3FG vs. Stanford (Jan. 17).
- Had career-highs in field goals made (4) and points (12) vs. Yale (Dec. 5).
AS A FRESHMAN/SOPHOMORE (2012-13, 2013-14, CHIPOLA COLLEGE)
- Played one year at Chipola College in Marianna, Fla., under Coach Patrick Blake.
- Named NJCAA First Team All-American, FCSAA All-State Player of the Year and Panhandle Conference Player of the Year after averaging 18.7 points and 3.8 assists.
- Led Chipola to a 26-6 record, to the NJCAA Region VII Championship and advanced to the Elite Eight of the NJCAA National Tournament.
- Scored 10 or more points in 27 of 30 contests and 13 with 20 or more including a season-best 34 points vs. Gulf Coast State on Feb. 11, 2014. Two weeks earlier he posted 29 against the same team.
- Posted three double-doubles in three straight games with season-bests 10 assists in each contest.
- Did not play during his freshman campaign in 2012-13 to focus on academics.
PRIOR TO CHIPOLA COLLEGE
- Attended Notre Dame Prep (Fitchburg, Mass.) and played alongside Steven Adams (OKC Thunder, Pittsburgh), Myles Davis (Xavier), Adonis Fiiler (Clemson, Fla. Atlantic) and Mandell Thomas (Fordham).
- Helped lead team in National Prep Championship semifinal round where he scored 27 points in a loss. Notre Dame Prep defeated an A.J. English led St. Thomas More Academy in the quarterfinal round.
- Played his junior season at Saint Francis Academy in Baltimore, MD.