Iona Men's Basketball BIO
5 A.J. English
- Preseason All-MAAC First Team and CollegeInsider.com Lou Henson Preseason All-America Team prior to 2014-15.
- Perimeter scoring threat with the ability to put points on the board in bunches.
- Has a good stroke from behind the three-point line and can shoot it equally well off the dribble in the mid-range area.
- Also has a good feel for attacking close-outs and can get it to the rim if necessary.
- Son of A.J. English II, an All-American at Virginia Union University and two-year NBA veteran with the Washington Bullets from 1990-1992 where he averaged just under 10.0 points per game.
AS A SOPHOMORE (2013-14):
- Lone underclassman to earn All-MAAC First Team honors in 2013-14.
- One of two Gaels to appear in and start all 33 games in 2013-14.
- Averaged 17.2 points, 3.9 rebounds, 4.3 assists, 1.0 steals and 0.4 blocks.
- Hit 84 three-pointers, the fourth highest single-season total in school history.
- Recorded 26 double-digit efforts including 13 with 20+, three with 30+ and a season-high 32 points at Canisius on Feb. 9.
- Posted two double-doubles with 11 points and 13 assists vs. Marist (Dec. 4) and 21 points and 13 assists vs. Monmouth (Feb. 14).
- Had a season-high seven rebounds twice vs. George Mason (Nov. 23) and vs. Quinnipiac (Jan. 24).
- Buried eight three-point field goals at Dayton (Dec. 19, 2013) matching the third highest single-game total in school history.
AS A FRESHMAN (2012-13):
- Appeared in 17 games with six starts before being sidelined with a season-ending wrist injury.
- Averaged 7.0 points, 2.5 rebounds, 1.3 assists in 21.8 minutes per game.
- Recorded a season-high 17 points in back-to-back games at Georgia (Dec. 15) and vs. Liberty (Dec. 18).
- Posted six efforts of 10 or more points.
- Was named MAAC Rookie of the Week three times (Dec. 17, Dec. 24, Jan. 7).
BEFORE IONA (ST. THOMAS MORE PREP / APPOQUINIMINK):
- The Delaware native played for head coach Jeremiah Quinn at st. Thomas More Prep.
- Averaged nearly 18 points per game in his post graduate season with the Chancellors and was named All-New England Prep School Athletic Conference Second Team.
- As a senior in 2010-11, he helped lead Appoquinimink to a 15-5 overall mark and 12-2 in league play.
- As a junior his squad was 12-9 and 7-5 that season.
- Rated the No. 71 best prospect in the Class of 2011 by Rivals.com.
- 12/8/14 - NY Post - Howie Kussoy - How Iona discovered and developed a hoops gem
- 11/27/14 - NY Journal News - Brian Heyman - A. J. English becoming a shooting star for Iona
- 11/14/14 - ZagsBlog.com - Adam Zagoria - Son of a Former NBA Player, Iona’s A.J. English Drawing NBA Scouts Himself
- 2/3/14 - CBS Local - New York - Andrew Kahn - Rising Star: Iona Guard A.J. English
- 1/17/14 - Big Apple Buckets - Ryan Restivo - Sophomore A.J. English Breaking Out for Iona