Iona Men's Basketball BIO
13 David Laury
- Named 2014-15 MAAC Preseason Player of the Year, Preseason All-MAAC First Team, and CollegeInsider.com Lou Henson Preseason All-America Team.
- Possesses tremendous skill for his size.
- Has the ability to lead the offense as a virtual point forward.
- A strong rebounder and a great passer with an excellent basketball IQ.
- Also has good range on his jumper and can step out and make a three-pointer.
AS A JUNIOR (2013-14):
- Named to All-MAAC Second Team and MAAC All-Tournament Team following the 2013-14 campaign.
- Played all 33 games including last 17 off the bench for the Gaels as a junior.
- Averaged 14.0 points, 8.3 rebounds, 2.3 assists, 1.2 blocks and 0.7 steals per game.
- Recorded 26 double-digit point efforts including seven with 20 or more and a season-best 28 at Niagara on Feb. 7.
- Had nine games with 10 or more rebounds with a season-high 16 in the NIT at Louisiana Tech on Mar. 19.
- Posted a team-best eight double-doubles.
AS A SOPHOMORE (2012-13):
- Named All-MAAC Third Team and MAAC All-Tournament Team following the 2012-13 campaign.
- Appeared in 25 games and made 23 starts as a sophomore after becoming eligible midseason due to NCAA transfer rules.
- Averaged 13.1 ppg, 10.3 rpg and 2.0 apg.
- Had 20 games with 10 or more points and five with 20 or more with a season-high 24 points at Niagara on Jan. 31.
- Recorded 12 double-digit rebounding efforts including career-best 17 on two occasions at Rider (Jan. 20) and vs. Niagara in the MAAC Quarterfinal Round (Mar. 10).
- Had a team-high nine double-doubles.
AS A FRESHMAN (LAMAR STATE, 2010-11):
- Averaged 16.2 points and 9.8 rebounds per game while shooting nearly 60% from the field.
- In 16 games played, posted 14 double-digit point efforts and eight double-doubles.
- Had a season-best 26 points vs. Texas Riders on Nov. 29 and recorded a season-high 15 rebounds on three occasions.
- One of top statistical performances of the season included a 23-point, 15-rebound effort vs. Delgado CC on Nov. 20.
- Was initially recruited by Iona out of high school and committed to Western Kentucky and UMass prior to attending junior college at Lamar State.
BEFORE IONA: (OCEAN ACADEMY / NIA SCHOOL):
- Attended Ocean Academy in Bayville, NJ for his post graduate year.
- As a senior at NIA School, helped lead coach Vincent Robinson's squad to a 26-6 overall mark.
- Played alongside Cleveland Cavaliers' 2012 draft pick and former Syracuse standout Dion Waiters, Saint Peter's guard Yvon Raymond and current teammate Isaiah Williams.
- 11/6/14 - Big Apple Buckets - Ryan Restivo - Iona’s David Laury Keeps Pushing Himself Forward
- 11/4/14 - One-Bid Wonders - Ari Kramer - Weight off his shoulders: How Iona’s David Laury moved on from last season’s bitter end
- 11/16/14 - NY Post - Howie Kussoy - After rough childhood, Laury thriving at Iona
- 1/20/13 - Newark Star-Ledger - Matthew Stanmyre - David Laury's long basketball journey ends in happiness at Iona